Sunday 25 November 2012

IS IMITATION REALLY THE SINCEREST FORM OF FLATTERY?

Charles Colton Caleb once said that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" while I normally agree with this statement, I just can't in this case because it is so not true of this Angry Birds imitator, Revenge of the Pigs, a free game for blackberry devices.

To me when you imitate something you add to it, you make it different from its predecessor, take for instance Micheal Jackson, although he is an imitation of the "godfather of soul" James Brown he made his style distinguishable from James Brown's, he set himself apart, he added Micheal into the mix and in so doing created something unique that people still try to imitate to this day; making the imitator the imitated.

I wanted this game to do that, to set itself apart, to up the ante but it didn't instead it firmly cast itself in the shadow of its well loved predecessor. While there were changes made they were minor, I really shouldn't call them changes since they just exchanged one thing for another, for instance instead of angry birds it is angry pigs. In Angry Birds the aim of the game is to get back the eggs that were stolen by the pigs whereas in Revenge of the Pigs the aim of the game is to get back the houses and land stolen from the piglets by the big bad wolves. In order to conquer the wolves the piglets enlist the help of warrior pigs, yes you saw right warrior pigs *shaking my head* Could this game any worse? Yes it can. 

In the features section of the game description it states that you can have "endless hours of fun [and] can repeatedly play it without getting bored" I, however beg to differ, I played the ten levels that are available for free in less than an hour and I was quite bored while doing so.

My fellow Basted Gamer Ewan wrote in his Angry Birds post about how addictive and stimulating the game is and the fact that you need to come up with a strategy to beat certain levels, none of that was present in Revenge of the Pigs. It was neither stimulating nor addictive. It was not challenging either so I most certainly did not need to come up with a strategy.

Despite all of that there was a tiny ray of hope, a little spot of sunlight shining through this game's blandness and that was the controls which worked superbly. If you have a touch screen blackberry like I do all you have to do is place your finger on the screen, pull back the slingshot and watch that pig fly through the air and hit that target seamlessly. While it is also possible to play this game using the trackpad  I didn't so I don't know if it works as smoothly as the touch screen.

Some of you may think it was mean of me to attack this game but this is just my opinion. I have no doubt that there are lots of persons who love this game but to me it was not anything special or different, it just was...Now this does not mean that I don't acknowledge the hard work and effort that went into developing this game because I do...just wish that the powers that be behind this effort took it a little further into the realm of this game is the shit!



          

No comments:

Post a Comment